We love Caprese Salad, but when you serve plenty of appetizers, it's more fun to serve these mini portions so your guests can enjoy a taste of all your delicious creations. This is the second share of our holiday appetizers.
I saw this recipe on yahoo.com and changed it slightly to my own liking.
Servings: Makes 24 mini skewers.
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 4 oz best quality fresh mozzarella
- 1 small bunch fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or to taste
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- 24 party picks or mini skewers
- Rinse tomatoes and cut in half.
- Slice mozzarella ball into 1/2-inch slices and cut each slice into 4 to 6 pieces, about 3/4 inch. Make sure to end up with at least 24 small cubes.
- Rinse basil leaves and tear large leaves into pieces; use medium leaves whole.
- Thread a half tomato, basil leaf, mozzarella piece, another basil leaf, and another half tomato on small skewers.
- Mix oil and vinegar in a small cup; you can add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle skewers with the oil mixture and enjoy!
Feel free to share your own tips and comments in the comments box below !
- Use red and yellow cherry tomatoes for extra festivity.
- You could use small mozzarella balls, but I find they are usually not as good a quality as the large balls.
- Try to find the mozzarella di bufala from Italy which is made from the milk of domestic water buffalo. This cheese is higher in calcium and protein, but lower in cholesterol than cow's milk.
- You can prepare the skewers and the oil mix a few hours in advance, but wait to drizzle the skewers with the oil mixture until right before serving, so it doesn't soak into the cheese.